Dürnstein was first mentioned in 1002 and became a Town in 1495. The Parish exists since 1289.
The Monastery Church was consecrated in 1410 but only became the Parish Church of Dürnstein in 1745. In 1788 the Monastery was dissolved and it became the property of the Augustinian Monastery of Herzogenburg, who since then, have always sent a Canon of their number to serve the Parish as a priest.
In 1803, due to its perilous state of repair most of the old Parish Church of St Kunigunde was pulled down. Today you can still see the round apse and the foundations of the Nave. The bell in the Romanesque tower is still rung for the Death Knell when one of the town’s inhabitants dies. Also for the last 200 years, the area round the old Church has been used as the Cemetery.
Since it's dissolution in 1788 it was incorporated into the Augustinian canons of Herzogenburg, to whom it still belongs today. Today in the monastery, there are some apartments, rooms for exhibitions, seminars and wine tastings and our primary school in. From April to October the abbey can be visited daily. More in the menu opening hours and prices.
Holy Mass Every Sunday and Bank Holiday 09.30 in Dürnstein